Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hong Kong

Although my week in Hong Kong was unexpected, it certainly was fun! I stayed with the other Hong Kong teams at Hong Kong Baptist University. During my stay, the Ning Po teams adopted me. I was so thankful for them. Now I'm usually not one to have a difficult time making friends, but I was a little worried on my flight to Hong Kong. I knew I would be around the other teams, but I also knew they would be extremely busy with preparations for their students. My worry was that I would be in Hong Kong for an indefinite period of time and not know anyone. As soon as I got to the university, my worries were relieved by the wonderful Ning Po teams.

My stay in Hong Kong went something like this....I arrived on Friday evening fairly late and went straight to the University. Early Saturday morning, we made the first visit to the Emergency Room. This Emergency Room was more "western-ized" (if that's even a word). The nurses could speak English, there were no patients on IV drips in the waiting room, and my temperature was taken in a normal, sanitary way (unlike in Nanning). You know, those are all things we take for granted here in the States. I saw the Emergency Room doc that morning and he was not much help. He sent me for xrays, but he wouldn't look at my arm. He told me that I had to come back and see the orthopod on Monday. Because he (along with everyone else) was worried about the massive bruises on my arms and legs, he sent me for blood work. I had the blood work done (although it really wasn't needed), and I was told that the results would be back in a week...I was so frustrated because at this point I wanted to be at home. I stayed and went to the doctor on Monday where I was told yet again that my arm wasn't broken.

When I wasn't at a hospital, I enjoyed sight seeing in Hong Kong! So much fun!!! Although I must say, I wasn't a big fan of the food. It is so much different than food in the mainland. By Wednesday I was so ready to be at home! The problem was that I had to fly out of mainland China. My visa was only a 1 entry visa and I used that when I left mainland to go to Hong Kong. Wednesday and Thursday were spent trying to get a new visa, changing over my plane tickets, and getting things finalized for me to return to the States. It was all finalized Thursday afternoon in just enough time to run back to the university, grab my bags, take a 3 hour bus ride to Guangzhou, and find a cab to take us to the airport. It was a crazy day. Joyce helped, well a more acurate statement would be she did all of this for me! She got my bags checked in and then it was time to say goodbye. At this point I was on my own in China....SCARY! It was difficult to fill out all my papers with my right hand (I'm left handed) and get through security. I made it to my gate in just enough time to grab a bite to eat and board the plane! My trip home went well...I slept at least 8 of the 12 hour flight.

Thanks to Joyce (I don't have a picture with her) and both of the Ning Po teams who made my time in Hong Kong amazing! I love you guys! By the way....Joyce if you read this, please know that I am so grateful for you. There is no way I could have done all of that on my own.

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT HONG KONG!
*driving on the wrong side of the road
*going to church on Sunday
*top level, front row of the double decker buses (it felt like a roller coaster)
*Octopus Cards
*MTR
*Egg Tarts
*Joyce
*Ning Po
*Avenue of Stars
*Fireworks show
*oh the list could go on and on....!!!

Enjoy some pics!

No comments: